Thursday 10 November 2016

THE "-ING" FORM


The "-ing" form is extremely versatile in English and can be used in a variety of ways.  Let's check some of them out:

It can be used as a noun, an adjective, or a verb:
* Smoking is forbidden
* I had a long working day
* I don't like dancing

It is used after prepositions:
* Before leaving, you need to hand in your essay
* After discussing it with her, I thought she was right
* Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I went out with my friends

When "to" is used as a preposition it can be followed by the "-ing" form:
* I don't object to working on a Saturday
* I'm looking forward to seeing that movie again
* I'm used to getting up very early

There are numerous verb + -ing combinations:
* I admit telling him
* I avoid working on the weekends
* He denied telling her
* I enjoy dancing
* I've given up working on Saturdays
* I don't mind playing golf
* I can't stand drinking beer



Here's some links to a number of "-ing" form exercises (be careful, some of the answers don't require an "-ing" form.  Instead, they need an infinitive):


No comments:

Post a Comment